Babies have no gut bacteria until they go through the birth canal; their gut is sterile. The baby ingests fluid from the birth canal which contains bacteria. This bacteria is either good or pathogenic depending on the state of the mother's body. A birth canal with pathogenic bacteria can cause issues with the baby such as eczema and allergies. Left untreated, an unhealthy gut can cause issues such as IBS, Cancer, auto-immune diseases, and Autism. Don't forget about the importance of breastmilk as well. Think about it; many nursing babies/moms end up with thrush after antibiotics. The good or bad bacteria gets passed on through the milk also. It's never too late to start fixing your gut and your children's guts. Don't beat yourself up for what you didn't know; take the information and start making changes.
We are what we absorb (not just eat). If you're having issues (allergies, migraines, fatigue, ADD, arthritis, etc..) that keep you from enjoying optimal health, you almost definitely have an imbalance in the health of your intestinal area. There are 3 pounds of microbes in the digestive tract that, when out of balance, make you susceptible to toxins and undigested proteins that cause disease. You want to know why we're having so many issues with this now, what caused it?
1. Breast feeding was actively discouraged (which still affects the next generation b/c the gut was never fixed before babies were born).
2. Antibiotics have been overused.
3. Health has become reactive instead of proactive. The symptoms are treated but the real problem goes untreated.
4. Our food has become highly processed with the cheapest quality ingredients and as many fillers and crap that companies can get away with putting in it. (Maybe I'll do a series on that.)
5. Exercise used to happen naturally and wasn't something that had to be scheduled in.
You want to get healthy? You have to start with balancing out the intestinal area. You can't absorb nutrients properly without a healthy gut.
How do you know when you have too much bad bacteria?
Some common symptoms:
Gut issues such as cramping, bloating, IBS, and inflammation
Unexplained weight loss (malnutrition b/c you can't absorb nutrients)
Probiotics: What to look for
It's all in the delivery system. Honestly, it doesn't matter what the number on the label is if it can't stay live until it gets to where it needs to go.
1. GMP Certified-If it's not GMP certified don't buy it. That goes for any supplement.
2. Capsule form-There's a reason why we don't have this in isotonic form. Air, moisture, light, and heat are things to avoid so a capsule form without binders is a good choice.
3. Mine has patented technology for the delivery system that protects the live cultures from damaging stomach acid. It also allows for a longer shelf life even at room temperature than other probiotics
4. Strains-All probiotics do not have the same strains. Different ones do different things.
Great probiotic options:
What my kids take: http://bit.ly/WYNeAL
What I take: http://bit.ly/ZBRyV5
Other great options: http://bit.ly/177TdHe
*I can't remember the name of the one I used to use. It can be found in the refrigerator of some health food stores. The container is white with green. If you happen to know what it is, please let me know so I can post it on here.
Food To Help:
*Plain yogurt (add your own fruit if you need to). Make sure your yogurt is really yogurt. Most are crap with fillers. I use Chobani but there are other great brands out there.
*Sauerkraut (You'd have to pay me to eat this stuff but if you can stand it go for it!)
*Kefir (Keep in mind the sugar content before you go wild on this if you're not getting plain.)
*Fruit (It's sugar)
*These lists are just to give you a start. There are more Do's and Don'ts.
To get rid of yeast overgrowth, I took the weight loss class that I now teach. It's done through things like Facebook, email, and text messaging so location is not an issue. Here's my email if you want more info brandi_prkns @ yahoo . com.
Start with a cleanse. This is the one I use. If you decide to do it and want extra help/tips, please email me after your purchase so I can verify that you bought it and send you information. I will coach you through it if you want.