Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Fruit and Nut Bars

High Fiber and High Protein! You know I'm all over it! The whole family loves these easy to make bars (or whatever shape you want). Thank you to the person that pinned the bars that somebody blogged about making from those expensive bars in the store. :-)
Ingredients:
1 Cup Nuts
1/2 Cup cherries
1-1 1/2 Cups Dates

Chop the nuts.
Add the fruit.
Mix it.
Form it into your preferred shape.
Let the kids help! My kids love this project and they're more likely to eat it if they help make it. Let them choose the ingredients. The dates are a must have. I haven't found anything else that holds it together like they do. Fresh is better but the ones in a bag worked okay. I use almonds (raw slivered worked best) but you can use another nut. I don't recommend peanuts simply because they're inflammatory but they'll work. Get creative and add chocolate chips (they have all kinds of flavors now) or something else fun. I keep my bars in the fridge. I can't tell you how long they stay good because they don't last beyond a few days.
Here's the link to the blog I mentioned. She has a link to the bars so you can see the flavors they came up with.
http://sometimesiveg.com/2011/07/homemade-cherry-larabar/

No comments:

Post a Comment