Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Trashbag for car



I didn't care for the denim trash bag I made so when I came across a pin for another bag I decided to give it a try. The denim one was too big and I didn't like the way it looked. I'll try another one eventually.
I think this bag turned out really well; imagine what it would look like if I could sew a straight line! Here's the link for the tutorial I based mine on (she takes better pictures :-)). I didn't have the cloth stuff she had so I made do with the cheap stuff. I also didn't want to spend more money for fabric when I wasn't sure if it would turn out. So, here are the things I did different:
1. Since I used cheaper fabric, I put batting in between the fabrics.
2. I have DVD players on the headrests so I didn't want the added bulkiness of tying so the strap is just one long piece.
3. I wanted both colors on the strap so I just sewed an extra strip in it. (I should have sewn the straps on with the other side showing, oops.)
4. I cheated and used one piece of fabric for each color instead of two. Worked fine and one less seam to mess up.























I'm not going to repeat everything since she did such a great job on her tutorial. I'm just showing the modifications that I made.


Here is the batting stuff I used. 11X22 worked well if you use the same sizes as the tutorial.













That gusset thing she did worked out great! If you're wondering why there's no bottom seam it's because I used one piece of fabric instead of sewing two together. I was able to use fat quarters for the blue and green. Luckily, they were both cut bigger than the measurements on the package said.




This is what the strap looks like before you baste it (sew it). Make sure it's straight when you sew it, use the sewing machine as a guide. I had a lot of excess length so that's why there's so much hanging off the top. It doesn't show when the bag is sewn so I just left it. I figured out the length I wanted and just drew a chalk line on the fabric.





























This is what the bag looked like before sewing the right sides together. When the outside bag is inside out inside of the inside bag which is right side out (right sides facing each other), just pin the batting to the two seams so it can get sewn on as well.(Did you get all of that? :-))



ANOTHER PICTURE SHOWING THE STRAP IN BETWEEN THE FABRICS
To make the extra strip on the strap, just cut a piece of the fabric the same length as your strap, adding at least 1/2 inch to the width for sewing room. Just sew the edges together with right sides facing (both sides) then turn the tube right side out. I use a chopstick to help.



















I know I'm going to have to wash these (which is why she used the other fabric) but I can always put a plastic bag inside for those times when the kids are going to have yucky stuff to throw away. These were pretty easy to make but I had already done most of my mistakes on the denim bag (see blog post). I hope this helps you make your own! FYI-if you don't want your kids to chose the fabric, better not let them know what you're doing. That's how I ended up with the space theme for the back of my car. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment